Banner for LabNotes
From Lab Notes
Contact Information
Forest Products Laboratory
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
Madison, WI 53726-2398
Phone: (608) 231-9200
Fax: (608) 231-9592
Email

 

You are here: FPL Home  / Information Products & Services  / Publications

Requested Product

Title: Wood Products Thermal Degradation and Fire

Source: Reference Module in Materials Science and Materials Engineering

Author(s)Dietenberger, Mark; Hasburgh, Laura

Publication Year: 2016  View PDF »

Category: Journal Articles
Associated Research Project(s):   FPL-4716-2A

Abstract: As wood reaches elevated temperatures, the different chemical components undergo thermal degradation that affect the performance of wood. The extent of these changes depends on the temperature level and length of time under exposure conditions. Permanent reductions in strength and modulus of elasticity can occur at temperatures >65 °C, with the amount depending on the temperature, pH of wood, moisture content, heating medium, exposure period, chemical treatment, and species (Winandy and Rowell, 2013). Studies relating strength reduction with temperature rise has indicated a kinetic basis(involving activation energy, pre-exponential factor, and order of reaction). If the specimens are tested while still hot after long term exposure (∼66 °C for 3 years), the percentage of strength reduction would be based on the combination of an immediate effect of temperature (∼14%) and a permanent effect (∼33%) for a total of around 47% strength loss (Green and Evans, 2008). The primary mechanism for this degradation is the production of acetic acid freed by the process of hydrolysis at long term ambient conditions that include varying moisture contents and by which the acetyl groups are split from their association with hemicelluloses in the wood (Packman, 1960). During hydrothermal treatments (as reported for up to 230 °C), the acetyl groups present in wood hemicelluloses hydrolyze to form acetic acid which provides the hydronium ions needed to self-catalyze the hydrolysis of wood, involving the hydrolytic reactions of ether and ester bonds (Garrote et al., 2002). Long term exposure to temperatures equal to or greater than 66 °C is not a concern in residential construction but may be an important consideration for certain industrial buildings. However, strength and stiffness degradation relationships with temperatures greater than 66 °C and varying time durations for wood under compression and tension has recently been utilized in building design for fire protection (Eurocode 5, 2004).

Keywords: Wood products: aging of wood; Wood products: chemical degradation; Wood: strength and stiffness; Wood: thermal properties

Publication Review Process: Informally Refereed (Peer-Reviewed)

File size: 599 kb(s)

Date posted: 12/23/2015

This publication is also viewable on Treesearch:  view
RITS Product ID: 77992
Current FPL Scientist associated with this product
Dietenberger, Mark A.
Research General Engineer
  

Additional items that might interest you
View the video celebrating FPL's 100 years of public service in 2010, from the producers of the Greatest Good....view

Research Highlights from FPL....view

Termite Eradication: A search for the Holy Grail.... view

Moisture Management in Residential Construction Series videos...view

Wood Floor Systems in Residential Construction Series videos....view
- FPL's Mission and Strategic Plan -

FPL's mission is to identify and conduct innovative wood and fiber utilization research that contributes to conservation and productivity of the forest resource, thereby sustaining forests, the economy, and quality of life. ... ..more »

- FPL Research Emphasis Areas -
Advanced Composites

As an integral part of the FPL mission, we improve the long-term sustainability of our Nation's forests by creating valuable composite products from biobased materials ... ..more »


Advanced Structures

The FPL has been in the forefront of wood-frame housing research since 1910 and has long been recognized as a world leader in such housing-related areas as engineered wood ... ..more »


Forest Biorefinery

We all know the compelling reasons that the United States needs to reduce its dependence on fossil fuels. Historically, the greatest increases in energy demand have been for transportation fuels ... ..more »


Nanotechnology

A leader in wood products research for over a century, the FPL is positioning itself to become the lead Federal research facility for the application of nanotechnology in forest products ... more »


Woody Biomass Utilization

Forests in the United States contain a substantial amount of small-diameter, overstocked, and underutilized material.FPL research projects are exploring the potential of the small-diameter ... ..more »