James W. Evans
James W. EvansEconomics, Statistics and Life Cycle Analysis Research
One Gifford Pinchot Drive
The purpose of the research efforts is to enhance the integrity and efficiency of the Forest Products Laboratory through the use, development, evaluation, and promotion of modern statistical methods.
- Establishment of new and more accurate sampling procedures; cheaper, more efficient testing procedures for evaluating the mechanical properties of structural lumber; and new databases of lumber property information
- Evaluation and modeling of the effects of environmental factors on lumber properties
- Development of new statistical analysis procedures
- Research on the Weibull distribution
- Research on how to monitor for changes in lumber properties over time
- Research on uses of small-diameter material
- Collaborative research with other scientists at FPL as a part of a research team
|Publication Year: 2013|
Highlight ID: 440
|Traditional Grading System Updated for Structural Lumber|
The Forest Products Laboratory has traditionally provided unbiased information on the properties, characteristics, design, and use of structural wood products to groups and agencies that develop or control standards for ensuring public safety and hea ...
|Research Projects serving in the role of Principal Investigator|
|Project Name||Start Date||End Date|
|Improve statistical modeling of wood, fiber and composite properties, processing and performance|
Total affiliated publications: 9
|Integrate statistical methods and tools into FPL’s wood utilization and economics research enhancing its quality and increasing its impact|
Total affiliated publications: 38
|Excellence in Writing Award Goes to FPL-Authored Journal Article|
The Society of Wood Science and Technology (SWST) has awarded their First Place George Marra Award for Excellence in Writing to three Forest Products Laboratory (FPL) researchers and their project partners...