Build Green: Wood Can Last for Centuries provides many helpful tips for the homeowners.
- Recognize the conditions that present a decay hazard for wood.
- When new construction is planned, protect wood from moisture and decay hazard by proper design.
- For above-ground uses where wood cannot be protected from excessive moisture, use decay-resistant wood, preferably preservative-treated.
- Where wood in permanent structures is in contact with soil, use preservative-treated wood that is approved for ground contact.
- When decay is detected, take corrective action to locate and stop the source of moisture, otherwise decay will only get worse!
- Contact professionals for additional advice and assistance.
With time and attention, your wood can last for centuries!