When the Forest Products Laboratory opened its doors in 1910, Eloise Gerry also opened the door for women in the Forest Service.
Gerry was hired as the agency’s first female scientist in what today is known as the Center for Wood Anatomy Research. Her work focused on anatomical studies of wood and its physiological properties.
According to a Forest History Society article, Gerry recognized that “The Forest Service did not want a woman, but as it happened there wasn’t any man willing to come and do the work.”
Gerry, however, proved she was more than qualified, publishing over 120 articles in technical journals and remaining a dedicated Forest Service employee for her entire 44-year career.